Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Zeori


      Zeori
Stanzas
4
Lines
6/stanza = 24 lines
Syllable/Words
12 syllables/line
Rhymes

Repeat


Emily’s Tree

1              A two-hundred year old oak tree stands in Amherst, Mass.,
                Around which three siblings, a boy and two girls, played.
                Back then it was but a sapling, small and pliable,
                Now it towers majestically above the roof.
5              If it could talk, I wonder what tales it would tell
                Of Austin and Emily and Lavinia.

                “The children were bright and lovely, I remember.
                Playing the games children always seem to play.
                Tag and Red Rover, Mother-May-I and jump rope.
10            The girls would bring their dollies under my branches
                And I would shade their afternoon tea parties.
                Their chattering squirrel voices made the best company.

                “The children grew up so much faster than I did.
                Emily became quite shy as she matured;
15            Hiding herself sometimes behind my spreading trunk.
                A white mouse who locked herself away without walls.
                The children all adored her so she wasn’t lonely.
                Aunt Emily was protected fiercely by them.

                “In the summer, Emily would walk past me
20            With handfuls of cut flowers from her garden.
                She was quite a horticulturist, that one was.
                People come to pay homage to Miss Emily,
                But they don’t know how much I miss her little ways.
                My graceful white star, in the day and through the night.”

No comments:

Post a Comment